Flowing Your Water Series:
The Water element guides us to rest, replenish and renew our resources. It is a season to come to stillness and reflection, as well as a time to tune into our deeper dreams that we want to bring into being in the year ahead. We gain nourishment, insight and the ability to tap into courage to face any fears or darkness when we need it most.
Most people start the new year with a handful of resolutions and a heart full of hope that this is the year that you'll have a breakthrough in your business or life.
Yet, over the past few weeks, I've consistently had clients feel frustrated with themselves because they aren't feeling that inner "get up and go." Instead, they feel internal and reflective.
If that is how you're feeling, don't worry. You're actually aligned with the natural seasons. Winter isn't a time for alot of external actions. It's a time to be still.
And, while I love the inspired motivation that the new year can bring to have us focus on what we want in the year ahead, the focus should be to dream more and act less.
The Water Element season reminds us to tune into our dreams and deeper intution. There are seeds that are being planted right now, that need a period of darkness before they seek the light. The soil nourishes and replenishes us so that we have our full strength in the Spring.
You may face some darkness that's starting to come to light - old fears coming to the surface to be released. Lean in and explore them. Get support to face your fears and find the courage to reach beyond the fear to claim what you truly desire.
The natural flow of this season is to give yourself more time to be still, meditate, rest and tune into your dreams. If you don't take time to replenish now, then when the light changes and the natural season of action kicks in, you may feel tired.
So create some boundaries around your self-care and relaxation. This will serve you to show up with greater presence, focus and availability, in all areas of your life.
Here are some of my favorite ways to let my dreams come to the surface:
- Keep a gratitude journal or jar. Write down the things that you are grateful for in your life, both small and large.
- Record your dreams. Write down any dreams you had the night before. Or, take time during the day to freewrite and imagine the dreams you want to bring into reality in the year ahead. Don't limit or edit your ideas. Let your imagination run wild!
- Tune into your business, or big project you want to work on this year, and capture any inspired ideas that come to you. Keep a notebook or take notes on your phone or computer to remember the ideas later.
Connect to Nature
- Walking meditation. Get outside and experience the season. Walk slowly and open your senses to notice the light, the sounds, the smells and the colors of this element.
- Do a medicine walk. In a traditional medicine walk, you would walk in each direction while contemplating a question relevant to that direction. (i.e. If walking East, you would ask, "What wants to be born in my life right now?" South,"What areas of my life need more play and adventure?" etc. Go to a local trailhead and ask yourself an inquiry, such as "What should I focus on this year?" or "What program should I offer next?" As you walk, tune in for the answers that come to you.You may want to take a journal or record your thoughts to capture your ideas.
- Morning Meditation. First thing in the morning, light a candle while setting an intention, then either with eyes closed or while gently focusing on the flame, meditate. Tune into your breath and clear any outside thoughts. If you feel distracted, notice the thought and then release it, returning your focus to your breath.
- Movement Meditation. Turn on a beautiful piece of music and tune into how your body wants to move. Allow yourself to follow the instint in your body. Capture any notes of your experience in your journal.
- Attend a meditation class. There are numerous free offerings in the community, including meditation classes that teach you different styles to meditate and relax.
- Join a meditation program. Listen to a guided meditation that uses creative visualization to relax, calm your mind and be still.
Enjoy these practices and allow yourself to rest, reflect and replenish as you dream your life awake. Please share any insights on our Facebook page: Elemental Woman Facebook page!